All set to Lose Your Glasses? 10 pointers for selecting a LASIK or Laser Vision Correction CenterThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest evolving fields of medication. Never before have many clinical developments and new strategies emerged in such a short time period. LASIK surgical treatment, which uses an excimer laser to improve the cornea, offers millions of people the chance to decrease or remove their need for glasses or contacts .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with remarkable stories about LASIK surgery as the painless and quick way to fix vision, but stories are likewise appearing about individuals for whom it was less than successful. Prior to you decide to go under the beam, what can you do to assist ensure that you will be delighted with your results?
The essential to safe surgical treatment in any field of medicine is an educated patient. Take a little time and research the LASIK center you are considering for laser eye surgical treatment. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, provides the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a medical professional by getting recommendations from other doctors or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Do not be tricked by fancy ads about a particular laser. Pick the doctor, not the laser.
3. Pick a physician who has done at least 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgical treatments. What a physician does not understand can injure you.
Ask for information on your medical professional's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. If your medical professional will not inform you, find another one.
5. Ask exactly what steps are taken to prevent infection. Try to find a center with a sterilized or dust-free operating room. Make sure that disposable parts are not recycled. Insist that your eye is completely disinfected, and firmly insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgery to get rid of the threat of transmission of HIV or liver disease.
6. Be careful of ads pushing "low cost" LASIK surgical treatment. Discount rate surgical treatment is as great as a discount rate parachute. The possible savings are not worth the risk of getting less than expert care!
Anticipate to click to read more see extremely well after LASIK, however don't expect to see completely. As with any eye laser surgical treatment, outcomes are as individual as each patient. Beware of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a difficult sell, you most likely are. Go somewhere else. You're not buying a car; this is real LASIK eye surgery.
If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or so, implantable lenses will most likely provide better vision than LASIK. Ask your physician about them and other recent advances.
10. While you examine, do not lose sight of the benefits: for the majority of people, a life time of bad vision can be cured in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgical treatment has actually improved the eyesight of countless people all over the world.